Saturday, July 07, 2012

My Relay for Life Luminaries


This weekend is the Relay For Life walk in my town. A friend of mine is heading up our team, so I am making a donation, walking and have designed two luminaries, one for my Aunt and one for my Dad. If you aren't familiar with the event (which happens all across the country at different times during the summer), the luminaries are paper bags which are lined up - in our case around the track - and a tea light candle is placed in it at night. The bags glow and make a beautiful tribute to the victims of cancer who are portrayed on the bags.

I pulled out my scrapbook supplies and started to pick out what I wanted to use to decorate the bags, but then I thought that by gluing things on, it would just make a dark shadow when lit from within. So, I pulled some pictures I had, added some decorative elements in Photoshop and printed right onto the bag with an inkjet printer that uses transparent ink. Then I used some translucent ink pads and stamped the rest on. I haven't tried yet, but I'm hoping the candle actually illuminates the photo so they can be seen in the dark.

If you can make it, I highly recommend it.You can find details about our event here, or you can search for an event in your own area. If you can't make it, but would like to make a donation, you can do so from this link as well.

** I forgot to add Sister to my Aunt's luminary. It's on there now =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note! I'd love to hear your thoughts. ~Nicole